Monday, September 20, 2010

You take the Good, You take the bad...

Stupid facts of life!

Like the fact that when everything is looks perfect a calf strain comes along and knocks you down. A calf strain i can deal with, i can just wrap it tight and go. Its the fact that I went for a 10 mile run, over compensated in my running form and destroyed my foot. No running till the marathon for me, it hurts to even walk right now,  my dreams Boston is starting to fade away.
So anyways, at least I got to brew the 3rd IPA in my 4 week brewing spree. Next weekend will be the final batch to make it 20 gallons. What shall i brew next? Maybe something dark and heavy?
Also i thought I'd share one of favorite eats, i think we have this one every weekend, looks so unhealthy but who cares. Its not!
Garbage Plates!!!
My own variation of the late night Rochester treat.

I use some Morningstar crumblers for the meat portion.
Some fries cooked in with the "meat" and peas
 Some Ketchup
I add some Habenero pepper flakes i made from my garden

Cook it all together
Then i make some Mac n "Cheese", for the cheese i take some cashews and soak them in water.
Drain and add garlic, sea salt, Almond milk, lemon juice, pepper in the food processor.
 And you have "cheese", now mix with pasta.
and serve with the "meat" and fries
 Make sure you add more ketchup and hot sauce, who eats garbage plates with out tons of ketchup?
Also have a tasty beverage, Southern Tier's Harvest Ale is so damn good.

A vegetarian (and almost vegan) Garbage Plate, dare i say, better than the original.

Now off to ice this foot and have a few of those Harvest's.

2 comments:

  1. I have heard my share of runner's stories of dead toes and flesh off the feet...sorry to hear that it's raining on your Boston marathon dreams...there's ALWAYS next year :) Your cooking/recipes are SO creative...I'm SO impressed/enamoured...I know my husband would LOVE the whole garbage plate, but thinking that I'll just start with the cashew-mac-n-cheese (since he's "trying" to lose weight)...can you give me a quick idea of a) how long you soak the cashews and b) how much almond milk you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually don't measure out anything, as i like to play around with the ingredients, but i know i should if im going to be posting about it. I know it was about 2 1/2 cups of cashews soaked for an hour, although i think 2 hours would be better as the cashews were still a little chunky. As for the almond milk, i think it was about a 1/2 cup, i just added it to the food processor until i got the consistency i wanted. If i wasn't adding this to the pasta i might have skipped the almond milk all together to make a thick spreadable cheese. Also, I added 3 basil leaves, a dash of sea salt, ground black pepper, a garlic clove crushed and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Thank you so much for the comments, it's great knowing someone is actually reading this blog and getting something out of it. Good luck and let me know how the "cheese" turns out.

    ReplyDelete